Re: .xsession kills X server with sqeeze/fluxbox

Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com> writes:

> Can you try the following?  As you already have ~/.xsession, make
> sure it has execute permissions.  Then make a link to it naming such
> link ~/.xinitrc.  Once you have that, if it's empty, then I would
> expect X to just die, since there's NO window manager specified.
> At the end of ~/.xsession, you now need to specify the window manger
> you want to run.  In my case startfluxbox, you could call fluxbox
> directly as well, or any other thing such as startkde,
> gnome-session, or any other thing...

Yes, now fluxbox starts OK with the .xsession file command.

In retrospect, it all makes sense. Startx looks for .xsession, and
finding it executes the window manager specified in it, but not
finding the file executes the default window manager. However, if
there is an .xsession file, but without any exec windowmanager
statement at its end, the X server falls through the cracks. I had
assumed it looked for a statement in the file, not for the file itself

I now removed the executable permissions from .xsession, killed the
symlink, and it still works. I'm not clear why you asked me to take
these two steps unless it merely served to cover other possibilities
for the test.

Looks like I'm now all set.

Thanks!

Haines