Re: .xsession kills X server with sqeeze/fluxbox

On 9/5/10, brownh <brownh@historicalmaterialism.info> wrote:
> I'm used to using an .xsession file in ~/

Me too.

>. But I find that when I have sqeeze installed with fluxbox, the server crashes if there is an
> xsession file present, even if it is empty.

Perhaps the contents of your ~/.xsession.  I have it on unstable with
no problem at all:

+++
% cat .xsession
#!/bin/sh

killall xautolock
xautolock &
killall autocutsel
autocutsel &
killall conky
conky &
export XAUTHORITY="$HOME/.Xauthority"
export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP="gnome"

exec startfluxbox
+++

> The .xsession-errors log offers no clue. It does fail to open
> .Xmodmap, but I don't have this file because I don't remap my
> keyboard. Then there is a statement: Xmodmap: ... aborting, which I
> assume does mean the entire X server is aborting. The log also said it
> had failed to read certain values in ~/fluxbox/init, and was using the
> default values. But nothing about the X server aborting.
>
> Is .xsession still allowed in sqeeze Xorg? If so, how can an empty
> file bring the X server to its knees?
>
> Haines Brown

It sounds to me it's not a ~/.xsession issue.  Have you tried just
might be a xorg.conf problem or some other configuration...

--
Javier.