.xsession kills X server with sqeeze/fluxbox

I'm used to using an .xsession file in ~/. But I find that when I have
sqeeze installed with fluxbox, the server crashes if there is an
xsession file present, even if it is empty.

The .xsession-errors log offers no clue. It does fail to open
.Xmodmap, but I don't have this file because I don't remap my
keyboard. Then there is a statement: Xmodmap: ... aborting, which I
assume does mean the entire X server is aborting. The log also said it
had failed to read certain values in ~/fluxbox/init, and was using the
default values. But nothing about the X server aborting.

Is .xsession still allowed in sqeeze Xorg? If so, how can an empty
file bring the X server to its knees?

Haines Brown