Re: .xsession kills X server with sqeeze/fluxbox

Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com> writes:

> It sounds to me it's not a ~/.xsession issue.  Have you tried just
> might be a xorg.conf problem or some other configuration...

Something just occured to me. Please excuse a bit of senility and the
distraction of other pressing work, but I now believe I recall
having initially created an .xsession file and putting into it these
statements:

	xset s 3600
	xset -dpms

When I found the time too short, I added a 0, and it did take longer
to blank, but then seemed to revert to a shorter time by itself. So,
if my memory serves, the .xsession file didn't initially kill the
xserver, but my fidding with xset statements may have done
damange. When I lost the X sessions altogether, I removed those
lines. I now try to restore them in .xsession, but it doesn't help.

Going back to elaborate the initial scenario, when I first installed
squeeze, I de-selected the "Graphical Desktop Environment" bundle of
packages, for I startx from command line and never install a graphical
desktop environment such as KDE. Then, After some preliminaries, I
installed xorg and tested it by doing $ startx, and got the expected
graphical mode (blank screen with graphical prompt (?) in UL corner).

I then installed fluxbox, and much to my surprise, it was started
automatically by the X server call. That is, for years I've started
the window manager by putting a statement in .xsession such as:

  exec fluxbox || exec xterm -fg red

So I no longer know how fluxbox gets called and how to stop it to
carry out your test. I looked into /etc/X11/ and off-hand couldn't
find a call for fluxbox, although there's a fluxbox directory to
define its default behavior. So I no longer know how to stop fluxbox
except by terminating its process, which will do me no good because
fluxbox is recalled when I start the X server.

I did check root account behavior: I logged in as root and for first
time started X for it. I found again that fluxbox starts automatically
when I startx. I created an empty .xsession file, and when that file
exists, the X server gives up the ghost without any suicide note. That
is, each time I try to start X and it fails because of the presence of
the .xsession file, it only shows up in .xsession-errors as:

  Xsession: X session started for ...

However, there nothing like:

  $ ps aux | grep X
  brownh 3928 0.0 0.0 2864 808 tty1 S+ Sep02 0:00 xinit
     /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc -- /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc :0 -auth
     /tmp/serverauth.bkLgHxoJbD

so apparently the server is not running despite what Xsession says.

There's nothing relevant in user.log or syslog. I did an call trace:

  $ strace -o xsession-trace startx

The enormous result was beyond my ken, but for whatever its worth, it
ends like this:

  stat64("/bin/rm", ...) = 0
  clone(child_stack=0 ...) = 3303
  wait4(-1 ...) = 3303
  exit_group(0) = ?

Ps-aux does not say there's any process 3303 still running.

Haines