Re: iomega 2TB external USB drive

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 06:26:25 -0400
John Lindsay <jclind@sentex.net> wrote:

> >   $ cat /proc/partitions
> >
> This is with the drive disconnected
>
> major minor  #blocks  name
>
>   3     0   78125000 hda
>   3     1   75473338 hda1
>   3     2    2650725 hda2
>   3    64  120060864 hdb
>

> This is with the drive connected---
>
> major minor  #blocks  name
>
>   3     0   78125000 hda
>   3     1   75473338 hda1
>   3     2    2650725 hda2
>   3    64  120060864 hdb
>   8     0 1953514584 sda
>   8     1 1953512001 sda1
>
> So it is there. I just cannot see an icon or access the drive. I don't

Yes, it's there.  sda is the drive, and sda1 is a partition on it.  At
this point, dmesg and syslog won't be as much use, since the kernel
knows about the drive, and the problem is with the higher level tools.
I don't use those tools, so I won't really be able to help; perhaps
someone else will.

> know much about accessing drives from the command line and what little I
> know gets me into a lot of 'trouble' especially if I screw up the email
> (which I have done in the past and 'she who must be obeyed' was not to
> impressed!!!

It's really just a matter of 'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt' (as root).  See if
it works, and if not, report the errors (and syslog may help here).

> >   $ less /var/log/syslog
> >
> > Observing any differences will be clues to what is happening.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> I did the last statement and there is way too much information for my
> ancient brain to make heads or tales over!!!
> What information am I looking for in this syslog? Is it at the beginning
> or end?

The end.  In linux, log messages are generally appended to the ends of
files.  What one generally does here is watch syslog, like so (from a
console):

'tail -F /var/log/syslog'

This will print the new lines to the screen as they are added to the
file.  So you start the 'tail' command, then do the 'mount' or
whatever, and note what gets added.

Celejar