Re: Now lost boot dir

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 15:50:18 -0400 (EDT), David Baron wrote:

> Using the Debian rescue CD, I built a 2.6.34 kernel compiling in more.
> However, locale issues prevented me from installing it and running lilo.
> Funny--worked fine last week.  I am wondering whether to bite the bullet
> and simply install a stock kernel.  Since I need Nouveau, it would need
> to be a more recent kernel, a  2.6.33,4 or 5. Which is recommended
> (all are called experimental and many images are simply lacking)?

The standard 2.6.32 kernel used by Squeeze (I currently use 2.6.32-5-686
version 2.6.32-20) works fine, and includes the nouveau driver.  The
nouveau driver seems to work OK in my experience, as long as you don't
need interlaced video modes.

> Heard tell of compatibility problems with various nouveau compiles
> and its xorg drivers.  This would, of course, use the initrd.
> I stopped using initrd when the installations ran yaird and this never
> worked.

Debian has given up on yaird for now.  Stock kernels use
initramfs-tools, which seems to work fine.

> I used to use the old mkinitrd and have an obselete conf
> for it.  Now, the update-initramfs serves this.  Is this smart enough
> to get me running with the newer SATA/PATA drivers (module policy
> defaults to "most")?

The 2.6.32-5-686 kernel uses the newer libata drivers.

> Do I need to specify most everything like
> in mkinitrd?

MODULES=dep in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/driver-policy seems to
work fine as long as you don't "cross build" your initial RAM
file systems.  I.e. don't build an initial RAM file system
for a kernel which uses the old IDE drivers while running a kernel
which uses the newer libata drivers, or vice versa.

> (Yaird had a test mode which gave a usable list of what
> to include.)

If you use the -v switch on update-initramfs it will list the
modules that it includes.

> Can these images be used with lilo or are they already
> too large?

I don't have any personal experience with the amd64 images,
but I can attest that the i386 ones work
fine with lilo, especially if you use the large-memory option,
and especially if you use MODULES=dep.
I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but you might
want to take a look at my kernel-building web page,
http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.  It may have
some information that you will find useful, even if you use
a stock kernel, and especially if you use lilo.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :