Re: Now lost boot dir

Using the Debian rescue CD, I built a 2.6.34 kernel compiling in more. However, locale issues prevented me from installing it and running lilo. Funny--worked fine last week.

I am wondering whether to bite the bullet and simply install a stock kernel. Since I need Nouveau, it would need to be a more recent kernel, a  2.6.33,4 or 5. Which is recommended (all are called experimental and many images are simply lacking)? Heard tell of compatibility problems with various nouveau compiles and its xorg drivers.

This would, of course, use the initrd. I stopped using initrd when the installations ran yaird and this never worked. I used to use the old mkinitrd and have  an obselete conf for it. Now, the update-initramfs serves this. Is this smart enough to get me running with the newer SATA/PATA drivers (module policy defaults to "most")? Do I need to specify most everything like in mkinitrd? (Yaird had a test mode which gave a usable list of what to include.) Can these images be used with lilo or are they already too large?