Re: Now lost boot dir

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 12:26:45 -0400 (EDT), David Baron wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> The standard 2.6.32 kernel used by Squeeze (I currently use 2.6.32-5-686,
>> version 2.6.32-20) works fine, and includes the nouveau driver.  The
>> nouveau driver seems to work OK in my experience, as long as you don't
>> need interlaced video modes.
>
> OK.  Does it work with sid xorg-video-nouveau or does it need the version
> from testing?

Before I reply, I wish to once again state that your e-mail arrived with
no line breaks whatsoever, and I had to spend a great deal of time reformatting
it so that I could make sense of it.  Please find a better way to send
e-mails.

Now in answer to your question, the version of xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
is currently the same in both testing (Squeeze) and unstable (Sid):
1:0.0.15+git20100329+7858345-4.

> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> David Baron wrote:
>>>
>>> Can these images be used with lilo or are they already too large?
>>
>> I don't have any personal experience with the amd64 images,
>> but I can attest that the i386 ones work
>> fine with lilo, especially if you use the large-memory option,
>> and especially if you use MODULES=dep.
>> I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but you might
>> want to take a look at my kernel-building web page,
>> http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.  It may have
>> some information that you will find useful, even if you use
>> a stock kernel, and especially if you use lilo.
>
> I'll give it a look!  This new computer is a two-core intel
> so I assume it is 64 bit but that does not require me to use 64 bits,
> especially just to get the thing booting normally again.

Unless it is an Itanium, you should be able to run an i386
installation on it.  But you really should take the time to find
out what it is.

Also, Joachim Wiedorn, the new upstream maintainer for lilo,
has come out with an updated version of lilo that solves a number
of problems related to the amd64 architecture.  You can obtain
the latest amd64 version of lilo here:

   http://www.joonet.de/lilo/debian/squeeze/lilo_23.0-1_amd64.deb

The only bug of which I am aware is a bashism in the initramfs
hook.  Change "#!/bin/sh" to "#!/bin/bash" on the first line of
/etc/initramfs/post-update.d/lilo to fix this problem.  (I'm going
from memory here.  I'm not sure about the name of the file, but
it should be the only file in /etc/initramfs/post-update.d.)

This package, despite it's availability in Debian package format,
is not an official Debian package, however.  In other words, if
you have trouble with it, don't open a Debian bug report against
the lilo package.  It is not supported by Debian at this time.

The i386 version of this package is available here:

   http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/lilo/squeeze/lilo_23.0-1_i386.deb

It has the same bashism bug as the amd64 version.  It is not
an official Debian package either.  But I am using it on one of my
i386 machines.  And if I had an amd64 machine, I would use Joachim's
amd64 version on it.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :