Mailing list protocol

Hi;
This is kind of an embarrassing question considering I have been subscribed to this list for several years. What is the protocol for a reply. Though I have bumbled through the process in the past, I am not sure how it should really be done. I searched for about a half hour on google and on the debian site and still have questions. Specifically:

If I reply to <debian-user@lists.debian.org> , how does my reply get included with the correct snippets of other messages. Or is this my responsibility to cut and paste relevent sections.

Though in danger on creating an email food fight, I still need to know whether my reply goes on the top or bottom of the text.

I seem to be cleaning up a lot of computer loose ends recently. This is one of them.

Thanks

Gary R.