Re: Mailing list protocol

On 08/25/2010 10:52 AM, Gary Roach wrote:
> This is kind of an embarrassing question considering I have been
> subscribed to this list for several years. What is the protocol for a
> reply. Though I have bumbled through the process in the past, I am not
> sure how it should really be done. I searched for about a half hour on
> google and on the debian site and still have questions. Specifically:
>
> If I reply to <debian-user@lists.debian.org> , how does my reply get
> included with the correct snippets of other messages. Or is this my
> responsibility to cut and paste relevent sections.

I sent this email to the chromium-discuss mailing list, as there doesn't
seem to be a soul who understands how to read email text, and how to
properly reply to a technical list (probably because they're all using
the crappy Gmail MUA):

http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-discuss/msg/df924dbb59ec4330?dmode=source

Long story short:

* Trim your reply. Only include the relevant text to support your reply.
* Bottom-post or interweave. People don't read English text from the
bottom to top. Your reply should always be beneath what you're replying to.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O