Re: Linux filesystems was [Re: Debian cd supporting ext4.]

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> writes:
> Volkan YAZICI put forth on 7/27/2010 8:22 AM:
> 1.  Never quote forum or email posts as empirical or reliable evidence of
> anything.

You're right, my bad.

> You quoted this FAQ item solely based on the tile, without reading it,
> in your effort to denounce XFS. The article clearly states the problem
> was fixed over 3 years ago, which you conveniently ignored.

I read the very same sentence, but AFAIK, default kernel for xfs bundled
with lenny doesn't have that fix.

> From now on, please get your facts straight, with proper
> documentation, before trying to denounce a fantastic piece of FOSS
> into which many top-of-their-game kernel engineers have put tens of
> thousands of man hours, striving to make it the best it can be--and
> are wildly succeeding.
>
> Join the xfs mailing list and you might learn something useful in
> place of this trash you're talking about it.

About a year ago, in a similar rush to yours, I ported two of our
PostgreSQL database servers to XFS. During testing period, I even
couldn't *recover* the / fs after the very first power failure test.
Whole testing period took 1 week and the result was negative. This is my
experience with XFS, and not much more thrash than your technical
knowledge. And instead of being a technology zealot, you'd be better put
forward some real world case scenarios. Try unplugging your xfs machineS
that many timeS, and let's discuss this topic again. Yep, my findings
might be deprecated, but I don't know any others investigating the same
subject with recent versions.

BTW, I still couldn't understand your temper and rudeness. I just share
my experience, and try it, it works.

Regards.