Re: What's with Gnome not logging out?

On 27/07/10 08:03, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Lu, 26 iul 10, 21:49:47, Paul E Condon wrote:
On 20100726_205835, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Lu, 26 iul 10, 17:26:11, AG wrote:

sledgehammer.  The option to log out of the session under the panel
menu/ system doesn't work nor does the old three-finger salute of
ctrl+alt+backspace.

For that you can run 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration'. Don't
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This works on my maching only if I have started X with startx, not if
I start with gdm3 (using Squeeze)
You could try diff'ing the logs and also look through gdm's config
files. Maybe it's disabling that setting on purpose.

Regards,
Andrei
Cheers Andrei

I don't think that it is disabling it on purpose because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme nor reason for when it does/ not.

The associated behaviour of the keystrokes ctrl+alt+backspace is already set for logout, but again doesn't seem to work reliably. I don't know if it is GDM or Gnome, because other DE/WM allow me to logout quite reasonably and reliably.

Go figure - it has me stumped (which I admit is not difficult to do, but even so).

AG