Re: Restarting network

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 05:43:18PM +1000, CaT wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 09:15:35AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> > Apparently '/etc/init.d/networking restart' is depricated.  It is not
> > doing the job any more on squeeze.
> >
> > '/etc/init.d/ifplugd restart' ignores virtual interfaces defined in
> > /etc/network/interfaces.
> >
> > So how do I get my virtual interfaces active after a reboot or restart of the
> > network without having to do 'ifup eth0:0' by hand?
>
> Why not use 'auto <interface>' before each interface definition?

I removed it because of this documentation from the Debian Reference Manual:
=====================
"Here is how to use the ifplugd package for the internal Ethernet port,
e.g. eth0.

   1. Remove stanza in "/etc/network/interfaces": "auto eth0" or "allow-hotplug eth0".
   2. Keep stanza in "/etc/network/interfaces": "iface eth0 inet ?" and "mapping ?".
   3. Install the ifplugd package.
   4. Run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure ifplugd".
   5. Put eth0 as the "static interfaces to be watched by ifplugd".

I did now put the 'auto eth0:0' back and did reboot the system.  This
time eth0:0 came up.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4599

     "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall
      find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."
                                  Matthew 7:7