Re: Restarting network

Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> writes:

>Apparently '/etc/init.d/networking restart' is depricated.  It is not
>doing the job any more on squeeze.

>'/etc/init.d/ifplugd restart' ignores virtual interfaces defined in
>/etc/network/interfaces.

>So how do I get my virtual interfaces active after a reboot or restart of the
>network without having to do 'ifup eth0:0' by hand?

One way is to stop using the long-deprecated interface aliases and
instead add secondary addresses to the single interface:

iface eth0 inet dhcp
	up   ip addr add W.X.Y.Z/N dev $IFACE
	down ip addr del W.X.Y.Z/N dev $IFACE

That way, you can let ifplugd start eth0, and the above commands will
add/remove the additional IP address you had set up on eth0:0

The ip(8) command is in the iproute package.