Restarting network

Apparently '/etc/init.d/networking restart' is depricated.  It is not
doing the job any more on squeeze.

'/etc/init.d/ifplugd restart' ignores virtual interfaces defined in
/etc/network/interfaces.

So how do I get my virtual interfaces active after a reboot or restart of the
network without having to do 'ifup eth0:0' by hand?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4599

     "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall
      find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."
                                  Matthew 7:7