Re: How 'stable' is squeeze?

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 20:58 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 02:39 +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:

> > > On my newer hardware, Squeeze is preferable to Lenny.  However, my
> > > personal biggest issue with Squeeze as a KDE user is the forced
> > > migration to KDE4 (not really a Debian issue but a KDE one as there is
> > > no longer upstream support for KDE3).  I have great hopes for KDE 4.4
> > > and like the new paradigm but the shipping KDE 4.3 still lacks basic
> > > functionality.
> > >
> > > Tim Pearson has launched the Trinity project
> > > (http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net - the site might be down due to
> > > recent very severe weather) to continue development of KDE 3.5 for
> > > Ubuntu and is willing to put together a Debian repository.  That would
> > > be my last major reservation for Squeeze until KDE 4.4 or 4.5 ships -
> > > John
> >
> > Squeeze is shipped with  kde 4.4.4 now
> > Thierry
> >

> Fabulous! I'll have to give that a spin - John

Well . . . I suppose this is not hijacking as it is about stability and
usability.  I eagerly ran my apt-get update and apt-get upgrade,
rebooted and, voila, X refused to start.  I finally installed the
proprietary nvidia driver AND removed nouveau and I got my X back.

I was delighted to see that I could now define printers in KDE without
using the CUPS web interface.  However, I still do not see a way to
change passwords as an ordinary user.  How does an ordinary user who
does not use the command line (and thus passwd) and does not have the
root password change their password in KDE 4.4? Thanks - John