Hundreds of sshd processes spawned by Postgresql

I am running a Lenny box, with postgressq-8.4.

I ran ps -e, just now, and there were over 350 sshd processes running under user postgres.  I killed the postgresql-8.4 process, but the sshd processes were still there, so I killed them.  I then started postgres again, followed by ssh.  I immediately ran ps -e and the where over 200 sshd processes, again.  Is this normal?  There should not be anything running, that I know of, that should be accessing any databases.

I have again killed postgresql and sshd processes.  I am hoping for an answer before I restart ssh, but that will keep me from connecting via ssh from my laptop.

Any help appreciated.

 --
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com