Re: [OT] First computer (was Re: LVM)

High school, Junior & Senior year (1969-71) - DG Nova, single user configuration, had to toggle in a bootstrap loader, then read in a 2nd-stage off paper tape, final stage read in off of a hard drive (as I remember, but hard drives were pretty rare in those days, so I could be wrong).

1st year programming course at MIT: IBM 360 (punch cards), 360 TSO (time sharing), Multics (time sharing). Also played a lot with the AI Lab's PDP-10 (anybody remember ITS? :-)

Right after that, started hacking on MIT's PDP-1 (of Tech Model Railroad Club and Spacewar fame, but at that point free-standing). The really neat thing about the machine was that hackers were allowed, even encouraged, to make HARDWARE changes (e.g., wire-wrapping new instruction codes into the thing). Lots of fun.

Somewhere in there, set up a couple of TRS-80s to handle the books for my dad's business.

Miles Fidelman