Re: How do I back up a running system?

>> I have debian running on a "headless" system.  I'd like to back the
>> entire system up.  Its difficult with a bootable disk without a monitor
>> (so Clonezilla etc are out).  I've tried mondoarchive but it usually
>> bails out before it completes the backup.
>

> And what does mondoarchive.log say?

mondoarchive gets up to here then nothing happens (for several hours):

---evalcall---E---
---evalcall---1---      Dividing filelist into sets
---evalcall---2--- TASK:  [********************]  97% done;  0:01 to go
---evalcall---E---
---evalcall---1---      Dividing filelist into sets
---evalcall---2--- TASK:  [********************]  98% done;  0:01 to go
---evalcall---E---
Your backup will occupy one meeeeellion media! (maybe 10)
Done.
Copying Mondo's core files to the scratch directory
Done.
Calling MINDI to create boot+data disks
Your boot loader is GRUB and it boots from /dev/sda
/var/tmp/mondo-temp/tmp.mondo.9418/tmp.mondo.8981

The log gets this far then nothing happens:

# tail /var/log/mondo-archive.log
You are using Mindi-Linux v2.2.0-r881 to make boot+data disks
Analyzing dependency requirements                               Done.
Making complete dependency list                                 100%    |cp:
cannot stat `/usr/games/petris': No such file or directory
Cannot find /usr/games/petris. You will not
be able to play petris during restore.
                                                                Done.
Analyzing your keyboard's configuration.

Adding the following keyboard mapping tables:                   Done.
Dropping i686-optimized libraries if appropriate.

I am running mondoarchive with the following options:

mondoarchive -OiF -k /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 -d /var/tmp/mondoarchive -S
/var/tmp/mondo-scratch -T /var/tmp/mondo-temp -E "/home /mnt /root/packages
/var/cache/apt/archives"

I get the same result when I run it without the -k option