Re: How to manage multiple Internet connections?

On Sat,15.May.10, 16:47:07, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> > But will probably not work in you case, as it was meant to combine two
> > (or more?) network ports from the same computer connected to the same
> > switch.
> >
> The description says
>
> ==
> The Linux bonding driver provides a method for aggregating
> multiple network interfaces into a single logical
> bonded <http://en.wikipedia.com/wiki/Link_aggregation> interface.
> ==
>
> Strictly speaking, this is what I want. Now, your interpretation seems
> to be based on the definition of a link aggregation, which I am not
> really familiar with. Basically, I want to merge connections into one,
> or at least divide and use them separately, in an easy way. This is not
> a so-rare situation, is it? E.g. you might be wandering in some zone
> where you can use the WiFi, but where it is sometimes unavailable, say
> at specific regions. If you manage to use another connection, for
> example the one that is given by your mobile phone/smartphone /via/
> Bluetooth (which is then connected to the internet through other
> protocols), it should be possible to switch between these two
> connections, or to use them simultaneously, if, say, WiFi 's range is
> too small or WiFi's bandwidth too small compared to the smartphone's
> one. (Okay, this is not a really realistic example.)
>
> You might also share an internet connection with your neighbour,
> legally, and use it a lot when he does not need it. Then, if you already
> use ethernet, you can use both connections. But how?

Bonding is not suitable for you because it works too low-level (it is
layer 2), unless you have two links from the same provider, using some
technology that can be bonded (like ADSL).

AFAIU what you need is BGP[1], but I can't give you any tips as this is
way out of my league ;)

Probably a good start (whatever technology you end up using) is a
GNU/Linux (preferably Debian) machine connected to both internet links
and your internal network since consumer gateways don't even have more
than one WAN port[2].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Gateway_Protocol
[2] some of them could be used for this with custom firmware, but this
is off-topic

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. There is no need to CC me as I am subscribed to the list ;)