Re: Updrading or reinstalling?

ryanjonathanb@gmail.com wrote:
Hi there,

Just one question,

Is it better to upgrade debian using dist-upgrade or just download the new iso and reinstalling it?? I'm waiting for the squeeze final release.. Currently still using lenny.

I do dist-upgrades from Sid, but I also have kept up a script that installs from scratch.

The reason for the latter is that I like to know what packages I asked to be installed and for what reason.

The vast majority of packages are dependencies and it is never clear why they were pulled in and by whom.

I now do a dist-upgrade and see:

858 upgraded, 289 newly installed, 15 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Yet as I install from scratch I only ask for 220 packages in total.

Hugo