Re: question about avoid duplicated ip address

On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:07:12 +0200, Israel Garcia wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> But, are you sure you want such a solution for your Xen doms? :-?
> No, I'm not. :-)

Ouch! :-)

>> That tool seems to be focused for desktop users and just for alerting
>> purposes, I mean, what is intended to do when it detects a IP conflict?

>  ipwatchd v1.2 has some changes, is says "it protects your host before
> IP takeover by answering Gratuitous ARP requests received from
> conflicting system"

It does the same than a DHCP server, then. But I think "ipwatchd" just
alerts you when using a duplicated IP, something like windows does, by
displaying a message.

>> You can use a network scanner (nmap, arp-scan, netdiscover...) to
>> prevent assigning a duplicate IP address to the hosts but I'm not sure
>> this is your goal.
>>
> I know, but somtimes manual errors comes when setup a new domU's
> network.

Mmm... and what impedes you for setting up a DHCP server? No need to use
fixed IP addresses, dhcp daemon will avoid to give the same address to
all the hosts :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón