question about avoid duplicated ip address

Hi,

Maybe offtopic but I want to ask you is there is something to avoid
duplicated ip address on the same network. My scenario is a big debian
lenny running a xen kernel with some others debian servers as guest
machines. Some times, new domU's are created with an IP that is used
on a existing domU. Question: How can I avoid using an IP address that
is duplicated when I restart networking daemon on debian? Or avoid
start a new instance with an used IP on teh same segment? Is it
possible?

--
Regards;
Israel Garcia