Re: Fwd: Re: Kde 3.5 ...

On Friday 07 May 2010 12:28:03 Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> Please do not judge KDE4 by not being a copy of KDE 3.5. If that was the
> case, there would be no point in making a new version anyway. The
> important question is whether KDE lacks functionality that should be
> there (this includes, but is not limited to, functionality present in
> KDE <4) and if that's the case, file a bug report. But of course, don't
> be bothered if the functionality *looks* different. Again, if all the
> functionality would look the same, there would be no point creating a
> new version.

No - that is the problem!!  I loved KDE 3.5.x and have become quite slick with
it.  KDE 4 is different.  I don't like it.  If I have to, in effect, change
DE, and go through the learning curve again, there is no reason why it would
have to be to KDE 4.  When the time comes that I cannot sensibly go on using
KDE 3, I shall chose where I go next on the basis of what the options are
looking like at the time.  I can see little liklihood that that choice will
be KDE 4.  I may even switch to a window manager without a DE, and chose
other ways of working, if that is the only way that I can avoid the glitz
that is now all the rage.

How things look is very important to me.  I have problems with my eyes, and
how a thing looks can influence whether I can work on a thing for one minute,
ten minutes or an hour.

I have no problem with other people liking and wanting to use KDE 4.  I have a
problem with their, in some cases, not allowing me the freedom _not_ to use
it.  And I personally shall mourn the passing of KDE 3.

Lisi