Re: Fwd: Re: Kde 3.5 ...

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> No - that is the problem!!  I loved KDE 3.5.x and have become quite slick with
> it.  KDE 4 is different.  I don't like it.  If I have to, in effect, change
> DE, and go through the learning curve again, there is no reason why it would
> have to be to KDE 4.  When the time comes that I cannot sensibly go on using
> KDE 3, I shall chose where I go next on the basis of what the options are
> looking like at the time.  I can see little liklihood that that choice will
> be KDE 4.  I may even switch to a window manager without a DE, and chose
> other ways of working, if that is the only way that I can avoid the glitz
> that is now all the rage.
>
> How things look is very important to me.  I have problems with my eyes, and
> how a thing looks can influence whether I can work on a thing for one minute,
> ten minutes or an hour.
>
> I have no problem with other people liking and wanting to use KDE 4.  I have a
> problem with their, in some cases, not allowing me the freedom _not_ to use
> it.  And I personally shall mourn the passing of KDE 3.

The unexpected forced downgrade from KDE 3.5 to 4 in Sid actually
ended up being a good thing for me. (the loss of the ability to have a
different background for each desktop was a KDE showstopper.  So the
forced downgrade prompted me to actually take a serious look at other
desktop environments.   And had that not happened, I would not be
using Enlightenment on all my Linux boxes today.  I have become quite
enamored with Enlightenment, and now see no need whatsoever to go back
to KDE or switch to Gnome.

Granted, I will happily use various KDE and Gnome based tools if
needed.  That is no big deal.  But E (with the Steampunk theme)  is
now my environment of choice.  :)  Only drawback so far I have
encountered is the inability to change the background color on the
desktop if the wallpaper image does not fill the entire screen.  It
can be a bit hard on the eyes with that harsh white background, but I
think I can get used to it.