Subject: Re: Kde 3.5 ...
Date: Friday 07 May 2010
From: Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
To: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>

On Thursday 06 May 2010 18:22:18 you wrote:
> >> You still have gnustep, xfce, lxde, no using any or simply never
> >> upgrade.
> >
> > I have looked at all those, in addition to KDE 4 and Gnome.  None appeals
> > to me.  Each has something that I strongly dislike or does not have
> > something that I like and use a lot.
>
> Please tell me what KDE 4.4 is missing, or what it has that you
> dislike. I can help address those issues.

I doubt it, because I think that the problem is the basic philosophy.  They
have sacrificed funtionality in favour of glitz.

E.g.
1. You cannot turn off all those horrible, and to me actually physically
painful (I have problems with my eyes) "special effects" _before_ being
subjected to them.  (All that horrible wobbly, wavy, shimmery, spinning
transparent glitz.)
2. ctrl+tab does not move to the next window.
3. alt+F2 is cumbersome and unhelpful.  (In KDE 3.5.x I can type e.g. k and be
presented with a list of all the applications that I have previously used
beginning with k.)
4. Alt+F1 does not bring up the menu.
5. Kcontrol no longer exists.
etc etc.

> > I am, however, very sad that KDE 3.5, which I regard as the pinnacle of
> > DE's, is being laid to rest.
>
> Then help me shape it's successor. What is not suitable about KDE 4?

Why would I rather have a Toyota hatchback (especially a hybrid one) than a
two seater sports car?

Lisi