Re: Filesystem recommendations

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> Joe Brenner wrote:
> > Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> > > That same unofficial benchmark showed surprising small-file speed by
> > > xfs.

> > Would you happen to have any links to such benchmarks, unofficial or
> > otherwise?

> > My experience has been that whenever I look at filesystem benchmarks,
> > they skip the many-small-files case.  I've always had the feeling that
> > most of the big filesystems cared a lot about scaling up in file-size,
> > but not too much about anything else.

> NB: This is my best recollection; I'm not looking this up right now.  Please
> check my facts, I'd love to know if I'm wrong.

Like I said, I *have* looked at filesystem comparisons a number of times.

It's my problem to check your assertions?  Why isn't it your problem to
check my assertions?

> > I'm a Reiser3 user myself, and I've never had any problems with it.

> > (The trouble with it being "long in the tooth" is mostly hypothetical,
> > isn't it?)
>
> Not really.

Outside of one mention of "bugs on reiserfs that will not be fixed",
you're pretty much just describing the theory.  I do understand that
using relatively unsupported software, even if it's pretty mature
software, can have it's problems.

Just doing a few quick websearches, I'm reading about ReiserFS bugs
fixed as recently as 2006, 2007... It's not like it's not getting any
attention from developers.

> In addition, as file system technology advances, reiserfs will become
> less attractive for new installs and it will become more attractive to
> migrate way from it.

I think you're better off if you rely on really well-tested migration
tools (e.g. "tar").