Re: Filesystem recommendations

> B. Alexander wrote:
> > Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net>  wrote:

> [snip]

> >> XFS is the canonical fs for when you have lots of Big Files.  I've
> >> also seen simple benchmarks on this list showing that it's faster
> >> than ext3/ext4.

> > Thats cool. What about Lots of Little Files? That was another of the draws
> > of reiser3. I have a space I mount on /media/archive, which has everything
> > from mp3/oggs and movies, to books to a bunch of tiny files. This will
> > probably be the first victim for the xfs test partition.
>
> That same unofficial benchmark showed surprising small-file speed by
> xfs.

Would you happen to have any links to such benchmarks, unofficial or
otherwise?

My experience has been that whenever I look at filesystem benchmarks,
they skip the many-small-files case.  I've always had the feeling that
most of the big filesystems cared a lot about scaling up in file-size,
but not too much about anything else.

I'm a Reiser3 user myself, and I've never had any problems with it.

(The trouble with it being "long in the tooth" is mostly hypothetical,
isn't it?)