Re: Filesystem recommendations

On Thursday 29 April 2010 20:03:20 Joe Brenner wrote:
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> > Joe Brenner wrote:

> > > Would you happen to have any links to such benchmarks, unofficial or
> > > otherwise?
> > >
> > > My experience has been that whenever I look at filesystem benchmarks,
> > > they skip the many-small-files case.  I've always had the feeling that
> > > most of the big filesystems cared a lot about scaling up in file-size,
> > > but not too much about anything else.
> >
> > NB: This is my best recollection; I'm not looking this up right now.
> > Please check my facts, I'd love to know if I'm wrong.
>
> Like I said, I *have* looked at filesystem comparisons a number of times.

So have I.  I didn't mean to imply otherwise.  I looked at them for deciding
on reiserfs, then I replicated the results on my own hardware using bonnie++
before restoring my backups.

I also look around for results about once a year, to see if much has changed,
or if there are new file systems I should look at.  Less often, I'll try and
run my own bonnie++ tests, but not rigorously; they occur on my system under
whatever load I happen to be running.

> It's my problem to check your assertions?

Trust, but verify.

The note was only indicative that I wasn't didn't have data or analysis in
front of me, so I was running off of memory.  Usually, that's fine, but I was
talking about specific file system implementation features in multiple file
systems.  Since I don't implement or debug file systems every day, I thought
an idle warning was in order.

> Why isn't it your problem to
> check my assertions?

It is.

> > > I'm a Reiser3 user myself, and I've never had any problems with it.
> > >
> > > (The trouble with it being "long in the tooth" is mostly hypothetical,
> > > isn't it?)
> >
> > Not really.
>
> Outside of one mention of "bugs on reiserfs that will not be fixed",
> you're pretty much just describing the theory.  I do understand that
> using relatively unsupported software, even if it's pretty mature
> software, can have it's problems.

That's not a theory; or that least it is not hypothetical.  It's proven true
over and over, and software ranging from OSes to libraries to RDBMSes to
desktop applications.

> Just doing a few quick websearches, I'm reading about ReiserFS bugs
> fixed as recently as 2006, 2007... It's not like it's not getting any
> attention from developers.

Took me a little while, but I see bug-fix patches from this year.  It's not be
abandoned quite as quickly as I was lead to believe.  I still don't recommend
it for new installs, but there's a-priori reason to migrate away from it right
now.

> > In addition, as file system technology advances, reiserfs will become
> > less attractive for new installs and it will become more attractive to
> > migrate way from it.
>
> I think you're better off if you rely on really well-tested migration
> tools (e.g. "tar").

These have significant overhead over file system-specific methods.  They are
the both universal and fairly conservative, so your advocacy is well-
justified.  It's also pretty easy to do them wrong, or get a poorly performing
file system out of them.  It's easy to forget extended attributes and  ACLs
when using cp/tar/rsync; there may be other file system data that needs to be
preserved, too (HPFS+ forks?).  Taking a kernel tarball from a ext3 file
system and extracting it on a reiserfs file system takes much longer than
taking a kernel tarball from a reiserfs file system and extracting to on a
reiserfs file system.