Re: Filesystem recommendations

On 04/24/2010 05:31 PM, B. Alexander wrote:
On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net>  wrote:
[snip]

XFS is the canonical fs for when you have lots of Big Files.  I've also
seen simple benchmarks on this list showing that it's faster than ext3/ext4.

Thats cool. What about Lots of Little Files? That was another of the draws
of reiser3. I have a space I mount on /media/archive, which has everything
from mp3/oggs and movies, to books to a bunch of tiny files. This will
probably be the first victim for the xfs test partition.

That same unofficial benchmark showed surprising small-file speed by xfs.

xfs and ext[34] can all be extended.  For production servers with a working
UPS, I'd go with ext3 for /&  /boot and xfs (since it hates sudden power
outages) for the "/data" directories.  For production workstations, I'd
stick with the standby ext3 for /&  /boot and ext3 or xfs for /home and
"/data" (depending on the workload).

Define "hates sudden power outages"...Is it recoverable?

They got pretty corrupted. Maybe it's been robustified in the intervening years.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?