Re: Filesystem recommendations

On Thursday 29 April 2010 14:17:28 Joe Brenner wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > B. Alexander wrote:
> > >
> > > Thats cool. What about Lots of Little Files? That was another of the
> > > draws of reiser3.
> >
> > That same unofficial benchmark showed surprising small-file speed by
> > xfs.
>
> Would you happen to have any links to such benchmarks, unofficial or
> otherwise?
>
> My experience has been that whenever I look at filesystem benchmarks,
> they skip the many-small-files case.  I've always had the feeling that
> most of the big filesystems cared a lot about scaling up in file-size,
> but not too much about anything else.

NB: This is my best recollection; I'm not looking this up right now.  Please
check my facts, I'd love to know if I'm wrong.

Some of that reiserfs performance came from directories-as-hash-tables, which
I believe ext3/4 supports and is native for btrfs.  Some of that also came
from tail-packing, which could come from the extents feature of ext4 and
should be in btrfs.  The final edge reiserfs had was above-average
flushing/caching algorithms, and the development pushes in ext4 and btrfs have
likely reduced or eliminated that; I think the unified block-device caching
system in the kernel able helped make that not such a big deal.

> I'm a Reiser3 user myself, and I've never had any problems with it.
>
> (The trouble with it being "long in the tooth" is mostly hypothetical,
> isn't it?)

Not really.  Reiserfs will probably be maintained in the kernel for a very
long time, in that as any interfaces it uses are updated it will be updated to
use the new interface.  However, ISTR there are open bugs on reiserfs that
will not be fixed.  Similarly, I expect new bugs that can be blamed on the
reiserfs code are less likely to be fixed than bugs than can be blamed on the
ext2/3/4 or xfs code.

In addition, as file system technology advances, reiserfs will become less
attractive for new installs and it will become more attractive to migrate away
from it.  Unfortunately, migration tools are unlikely to be developed, outside
of generic file system migration tools.  Compare with btrfs_convert which
allows an ext2/3 file system to be converted to btrfs with no data copying;
such tools have to be aware of the internal structure of the file system and
fewer and fewer developers will even HAVE that knowledge of reiserfs.  The
source will be available, sure, but even kernel maintainers interested in file
systems are not interested in reiserfs.

There's no drop-dead date for reiserfs in the kernel (AFAIK), so there's no
pressing need to migrate away from it, but there is a lot of work on file
systems that should both perform better and be supported better than reiserfs.