Re: Sudden reboots with Firefox and Flash

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:51:22 +0200, Nick Douma wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:05:57PM +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
>> No was not the same. But you can hear if fan speed goes up when you
>> load either the cpu or the graphic card.
>
> For giggles, I just enabled the BIOS warning beep when my CPU gets >60C.
> After starting 4x burnP6 and letting it run for a while, sure enough, I
> got the warning beep. I'm gonna look a little more into this, and maybe
> involve my vga card in this using FurMark to see what happens there.

Flash player movies and indexing are tasks that share a very high CPU
activity (just run "top" and press "C" to sort the processes which are
more CPU intensive).

And your micro is a "little monster" that has a TDP of 130W, which means
you need a very good heat sink and cooler to keep it at the recommended
(and stable) temperature all the time.

Besides, the rest of your components seems to be very powerful (i.e.,
VGA) and well, all of them require to be properly cooled (also hards
disks and having 4 units running continously generate heat inside the
computer case).

Put as many coolers as the case and mainboard allows to be attached on
and be sure the cooler of the microprocessor is capable to blow the
required airflow to keep it at stable temperatures.

I have assembled many computers and one of the things I care much about
is "heat". Second is "noise", but I agree I'm a bit maniathic on that
point :-)

You can also make some tests leaving the computer running from a LiveCD
and performing "stress tests" (like this¹) to see how the system behaves.

¹ http://www.inquisitor.ru/about/index.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón