Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:49, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is exactly what I do! However, I use a Debian derivative as it
> has slightly better hardware support out of the box and more
> up-to-date packages than straight Debian. That is exactly what this
> thread is about.

For personal use i prefer Debian, i really dislike the sudo approach
and all the pampering (as dislike big desktop environments regardless
of my über hardware). Wanting to look under the hood is why i tried
Linux in the first place (some old redhat i didn't like).

Distros like Ubuntu are good in that they are much more end-user
friendly and are good advertising tools -  provided the issues Andrei
Popescu mentioned are dealt with; as people already stated, end-users
don't care about open source or GPL or the evil Mr Gates, they want
stuff that Just Works™. As long as the user is willing to tolerate a
slight aesthetic change, it's a go. However, the more these distros
become "windows-ised" the more i get this eerie feeling i can't quite
name, maybe history repeating?

My 2¢

--
()  ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail