Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

Stephen Powell put forth on 4/8/2010 9:38 PM:

> For some reason, this well-known proverb is going through my head:
>
>    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
>    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
>
> I'd rather learn to fish.

This is exactly the reason I chose Debian 10 years ago when I was looking
for my first Linux distro.  I told a friend I wanted a server distro that
wasn't going to spoon feed me, but make me learn something about Linux.

Casey, a seasoned Debian sysadmin, recommended I download the Debian net
install floppies and do my first install from the mirrors, only a compact
base install, and to install everything else I needed by hand with apt.
That was Potato with a 2.2 kernel.

I only use Linux for non-GUI servers.  I don't use desktop Linux.  All my
admin'ing requires knuckle busting. ;)  And I like it that way.

--
Stan