Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 06:49:45 -0400 (EDT), Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I use a Debian derivative as it
> has slightly better hardware support out of the box and more
> up-to-date packages than straight Debian. That is exactly what this
> thread is about.

No, that is not what this thread is about.  I am the OP of this
derivative of the thread
"[OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a
different version name" and *I* decide what this thread is about.
Please don't hijack my thread.
If you want to start a thread that says Ubuntu is better than Debian,
then go over to the *Ubuntu* forum and start one.  This is *my* thread,
and I clearly stated the topic in my original post.

I acknowledge that there are people in this world who don't want to
know the details of how to administer a computer OS.  In fact, that
probably describes the majority of desktop users.  I'm not condemning
them.  If they have problems, they can ask a personal friend who is
willing to help them, or they can get a paid support contract.  But
this forum is not for them.  This forum is for *Debian* users who
*do* want to know how their system works and are *willing* to work at
it *and* help others.  It is not for Ubuntu users who don't know enough
about their system to administer it, can't get adequate help from their
fellow Ubuntu users on their own forum, and are too cheap to get a paid
Ubuntu support contract.

If you want to run Ubuntu, then run Ubuntu.  The choice is yours.  But
don't come over here if you have problems.  Get help on the Ubuntu
forum, ask a friend who also runs Ubuntu, or buy an Ubuntu support contract.
*That's* what this thread is about!  This forum is, to paraphrase Abraham
Lincoln,

  ... A forum *of* the Debian users *by* the Debian users *for*
  the Debian users.

You're welcome to search our archives.  But don't post here unless you
run Debian, want to know how your system works, and are willing to help
others as well as yourself.  I'm not trying to be unkind.  I have nothing
against you personally.  But it is not fair for you to run another OS and
then come over here asking for free help.  This is not a forum for users
of all 250+ Debian-derived distributions.  This is a *Debian* forum.
Period.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :