Re: playing/ripping audio cds

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 07:50:55PM +0100, Ingo Kasten wrote:
> Sorry for just putting in another thought, maybe I am wrong:
>
> During upgrade of the kernel and/or udev the devices are sometimes newly
> recognized. This makes udev create "new" devices , too.
> It doesn't matter as far the devices are mounted by uuid in fstab, but
> cdrom and dvd aren't mounted this way.
> So you might have a look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules .
> If there is listed more than one physical device with creating symlinks
> to more than one /dev/cdrom* you should rename that file and restart.
> Udev will create a new file with the correct symlinks, which your
> applications can deal with again. Can't explain it in a better way
> ;-) .

OK. Did that and got a slightly different rules file. Initial testing
was encouraging but that was just a delay in the onset of the monitor
cycling.

The grip help talks about making sure that IDE devices use SCSI
emulation as the 2.4 kernels didn't support dma for IDE. Has that
changed for the 2.6 kernels?

Just checked the archives for the grip-users mailing list and saw a post
saying that grip was no longer being maintained in debian. Further
investigation led me to cdda2wav (for which grip is evidently a front
end). Looks like I can use that directly from the command line without
any problem so that will be what I will do.

Thanks for your responses.

--
"Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise
enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others."