Re: playing/ripping audio cds

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 03:39:53PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-03-23 15:21, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> >Something has gotten broken on my system and I don't know where to start
> >looking.
> >
> >I am running the 2.6.32-3-686 kernel and most of what's available from
> >testing.
>
> Most?  Mixed system?

Well, yes. If apt-listbugs warns me against an update I usually don't
accept it. Also there are many updates for which aptitude wants to
remove programs I use all the time. That tells me that dependencies are
not yet fully worked out so they can wait.

> >I use a dvd+rw device for both cdroms and dvds. There is no more
> >/dev/cdrom nor /dev/dvd.
>
> Did you reboot lately?  What udev version?

Of course. I see a new udev (151-3) showed up this morning. I haven't
installed it yet.

> >                        Instead there's /dev/dvd1 and /dev/dvdrw1, both
>
> That seems to be ok.
>
> On my system, the DVD player is /dev/sr0.  But it's been that way
> for a long time (mine, though, is SATA).
>
> me@haggis:/dev$ dir cd*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-03-23 15:32:32 cdrom2 -> sr0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-03-23 15:32:32 cdrw2 -> sr0
>
> me@haggis:/dev$ dir dvd*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-03-23 15:32:32 dvd2 -> sr0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-03-23 15:32:32 dvdrw2 -> sr0
>
> >symlinks to /dev/hda (which is correct).
>
> IDE drive?

Yep.

> >/cdrom symlinks to /media/cdrom which symlinks to /media/cdrom0 which is
> >an empty directory.
>
> Right.  Only is populated when you mount something.

Does inserting an audio cd count as 'mounting' something?

> >Inserting an audio cd fires up gxine but it can't find the cd.
> >
> >I think grip can work with /dev/dvd1 since it identifies the tracks and
> >appears to be ripping them but I can't get any sound.
>
> Do any cd???? devices exist?

Yes. /dev/cdrom1 and /dev/cdrw1.

> >Additional problem: I aborted the ripping because it caused the monitor
> >to turn off and then back on every few seconds. For the past few weeks
> >the monitor has been occasionally cycling off and then on but only
> >occasionally. While ripping with grip the cycling was constant.

I tried again with grip and the results were worse. The monitor cycled
off and on so fast it finally gave up and stayed off. I had to reboot.

--
"There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so
 powerful as expectation of something tomorrow." -- Orison Marden