playing/ripping audio cds

Something has gotten broken on my system and I don't know where to start
looking.

I am running the 2.6.32-3-686 kernel and most of what's available from
testing.

I use a dvd+rw device for both cdroms and dvds. There is no more
/dev/cdrom nor /dev/dvd. Instead there's /dev/dvd1 and /dev/dvdrw1, both
symlinks to /dev/hda (which is correct).

/cdrom symlinks to /media/cdrom which symlinks to /media/cdrom0 which is
an empty directory.

Inserting an audio cd fires up gxine but it can't find the cd.

I think grip can work with /dev/dvd1 since it identifies the tracks and
appears to be ripping them but I can't get any sound.

Additional problem: I aborted the ripping because it caused the monitor
to turn off and then back on every few seconds. For the past few weeks
the monitor has been occasionally cycling off and then on but only
occasionally. While ripping with grip the cycling was constant.

Any ideas as to what's going on and more importantly how to fix it?

--
"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that
 one's work is terribly important." -- Bertrand Russell