Re: playing/ripping audio cds

On 2010-03-24 09:37, Rick Pasotto wrote:
On 2010-03-23 15:21, Rick Pasotto wrote:
Something has gotten broken on my system and I don't know where to start
looking.

I am running the 2.6.32-3-686 kernel and most of what's available from
testing.
Most?  Mixed system?

Well, yes. If apt-listbugs warns me against an update I usually don't
accept it. Also there are many updates for which aptitude wants to
remove programs I use all the time. That tells me that dependencies are
not yet fully worked out so they can wait.

I use a dvd+rw device for both cdroms and dvds. There is no more
/dev/cdrom nor /dev/dvd.
Did you reboot lately?  What udev version?

Of course. I see a new udev (151-3) showed up this morning. I haven't
installed it yet.

                       Instead there's /dev/dvd1 and /dev/dvdrw1, both
That seems to be ok.

On my system, the DVD player is /dev/sr0.  But it's been that way
for a long time (mine, though, is SATA).

me@haggis:/dev$ dir cd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-03-23 15:32:32 cdrom2 -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-03-23 15:32:32 cdrw2 -> sr0

me@haggis:/dev$ dir dvd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-03-23 15:32:32 dvd2 -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-03-23 15:32:32 dvdrw2 -> sr0

symlinks to /dev/hda (which is correct).
IDE drive?

Yep.

/cdrom symlinks to /media/cdrom which symlinks to /media/cdrom0 which is
an empty directory.
Right.  Only is populated when you mount something.

Does inserting an audio cd count as 'mounting' something?

Technically no, but DEs will typically do some background magic and mount it for you,

Inserting an audio cd fires up gxine but it can't find the cd.

I think grip can work with /dev/dvd1 since it identifies the tracks and
appears to be ripping them but I can't get any sound.
Do any cd???? devices exist?

Yes. /dev/cdrom1 and /dev/cdrw1.

Additional problem: I aborted the ripping because it caused the monitor
to turn off and then back on every few seconds. For the past few weeks
the monitor has been occasionally cycling off and then on but only
occasionally. While ripping with grip the cycling was constant.

I tried again with grip and the results were worse. The monitor cycled
off and on so fast it finally gave up and stayed off. I had to reboot.

That's too weird.  Anything in syslog, dmesg or /var/log/messages?

What kind of video do you have?  On-board?

Any ideas as to what's going on and more importantly how to fix it?

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid."  Dwight Eisenhower