Re: (OT) LaTeX vs Word vs OOo (was: (OT) gnash vs. flash)

On 2010-03-18 17:21:26 +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:24:12 +0100
> Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> wrote:
> > This is fine as long as you don't publish articles via commercial
> > publishers. The IEEE Computer Society now uses Microsoft Word, and
> > the files they produce are not correctly readable with OOo. :(
>
> Depends on your field. In my field (mathematics) almost no journal or
> conference accepts anything other than latex and even when they do, they
> strongly discourage it.

It's computer science.
  * IEEE TC accepts LaTeX, but converts the file into their own
    format, which does not support PS/PDF figures (only bitmap)
    and does not support \mathbb fonts.
  * Computing in Science & Engineering (CiSE) also accepts LaTeX,
    but our submitted article was converted (or manually copied,
    which would explain some mistakes that have been introduced)
    into MS Word by the publisher, who gave the MS Word file back
    to us for checking.