[OT] iceweasel vs. Firefox (was gnash vs. flash)

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 05:57:20 -0400 (EDT), Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Ah, good catch, thank you.  You can say "Firefox" even if
>> Debian has to say "Iceweasel".
>
> How about Puddlerodent? Would that be an appropriate form of mockery
> of the situation? I mock both Debian (zealotry) and primarily Mozilla
> (love-hate relationship with FOSS and control freaks) with that one.

This is off topic, but why exactly did Debian have to rebrand Firefox
as iceweasel for their distribution?  I heard it had something to do
with a dispute between Debian and the owners of Firefox (the Mozilla
Project?) over how updates were to be distributed.  Debian wanted
updates to be distributed via its normal "security update" channel
and the Firefox people wanted Firefox to download its updates
directly, the way the Windows version does it.  But I really don't
know.  I'd appreciate it if someone who knows the story would
fill me in.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :