Re: aptitude lists linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 under Obsolete and Locally Created Packages?

Wolodja Wentland wrote:

Ok - You really have only one linux-image-* package installed and you've
installed it directly, i.e. it was not installed as a dependency of a
meta-package.

Yes, I think I understand. I used a netinst disc to install the operating system. In Lenny installed via netinst I got kernel updates. Does it not work that way in Squeeze?

Very Good. I would suggest that you install linux-image-2.6-686 or
linux-image-686, which depend on linux-image-2.6.32-3-686. That way you
will get kernel updates in the future and don't run into this mess
again.

You can then reboot into the new kernel and remove the obsolete
linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 package.

Thank you. I did this, rebooted into the new kernel, used aptitude to remove the old one, and removed the obsolete kernel. Everything is ticking along nicely.

You might also want to trim your posts and interleave your answers.
Welcome to the list. :)

Yes, I should have known that, too. I read it when I joined initially, and then got rushed whilst trying to do several things at once.

Thank you for the welcome. And thank you for the very good advice.

Best regards,
Sam