Re: aptitude lists linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 under Obsolete and Locally Created Packages?

Wolodja Wentland wrote:
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 17:51 -0400, Snood wrote:
Stephen Powell wrote:
Sam wrote:

First of all, you replied to me personally instead of to the list.
I'm putting this back on the list where it belongs.

Same happened here.

If you have already done the upgrade, you should have two kernel
image packages installed: linux-image-2.6.32-3-<arch> and
linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-<arch>.  If you wish to purge the old
kernel, shutdown and reboot first.  This will cause the new kernel
to be booted.  Then you can purge the old one.  aptitude will
not let you purge or remove a running kernel.

I know about rebooting and purging. I've done it lots before. It's
not working that way in this case. Honestly. There's just no
evidence that I can find that there's more than one kernel to select
from. In fact, there's not even any evidence at all that there was
any kernel upgrade on the three machines that had the initial OS
installation done with the trunk kernel install option. On the other
system, I can see that a new linux-image package was installed. But
there's only one choice of kernels at boot time. And any attempt on
any of these systems to remove the "obsolete" kernel results in the
warning that the only kernel is being removed.

It would be great, if you could provide us with the output of the
following commands:

# aptitude search ~i~n^linux-image
# apt-cache policy linux-image-2.6.32-3-686

It is quite likely that you have indeed two packages installed, namely
linux-image-2.6.32-3-686 and linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686. The latter
is no longer present in the archives and therefore obsolete.

We can see that linux-image-2.6.32-3-686 is in testing:

$ rmadison linux-image-2.6.32-3-686
linux-image-2.6.32-3-686 |   2.6.32-9 |       testing | i386
linux-image-2.6.32-3-686 |   2.6.32-9 |      unstable | i386

so you should have installed it. That assumes that you have a kernel
meta-package installed, which depends on the current package that
provides the newest kernel. That meta-package is probably
linux-image-2.6-686.

It has already been pointed out in this thread that this kernel
update did, in contrast to previous updates, not select the kernel
provided by linux-image-2.6.32-3-686 as default kernel for grub. I
therefore think that the warning you get is not due to the fact that you
have only one kernel installed, but rather that you are trying to remove
the kernel *you are currently using*, because you booted into the "old"
kernel.

If you really have only one kernel package installed, I would suggest to
install the aforementioned meta-package or linux-image-2.6.32-3-686,
reboot and remove/purge linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686. Please provide the
complete output of any command that gives errors.

Output of
# aptitude search ~i~n^linux-image
is
i   linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686    - Linux 2.6.32 for modern PCs

Output of
# apt-cache policy linux-image-2.6.32-3-686
is
linux-image-2.6.32-3-686:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2.6.32-9
  Version table:
     2.6.32-9 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/main Packages

Thank you. I'm sorry about mixing up my replies. I'm new here and have been used to working with lists which mess around with the reply to behavior.