Re: Gnucash segfaults

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 18:11 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 12:00 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > > Alas, there is nothing particularly helpful:
> > > jasiii@jasiii:~$ gnucash --debug
> > > gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at configure time.
> > >
> > > Found Finance::Quote version 1.13
> > > Segmentation fault
> >
> > hmmm... okay, a couple of options.
> >
> > 1) run gnucash from the command line: gnucash --nofile
> > which will open an empty gnucash instance. If that doesn't crash, then
> > try opening your file from the file menu at that point. I suspect this
> > won't work though, that it will crash.
> Indeed - had tried that early on and it crashes as soon as I try to open
> an account.
> >
> > 2) install version 2.2.9 from squeeze. this may be problematic as it
> > may bring in lots of gnome stuff you may not want. I haven't hacked on
> > gnucash in a while, so I can't say what the state of 2.2.6 was, but I
> > know there were a couple of problem releases for a bit there. It may
> > be one of them.
> I was hoping I could simply sneak in gnucash and gnucash-common but you
> are exactly right - lots of dependencies from testing that I don't want
> to bring into this image which needs to be stable for hundreds if not
> thousands of virtual desktops.
> >
> > 3) get on #gnucash on irc.gnome.org and ask there. The channel can be
> > pretty slow, so you'll have to lurk around for a while. Those guys can
> > probably figure it out, but be prepared to defend your reasons for not
> > moving up to 2.2.9, the current release.
> >
> > 4) build gnucash from source. This isn't as hard as you might
> > think. do apt-get build-dep gnucash and start there. you'll probably
> > want to use the --enable-opt-style-install to put it in a different
> > path to keep from mixing up with dpkg.
> Given the need to maintain this in some sane way I think this will be
> our only real option until 2.2.9 hits stable.  Off to review how to
> build debs! Thanks very much - John
<snip>
Argh!!! This is getting very frustrating - probably all my ignorance.  I
rebuilt the debs and still get the same segfaults.  Here's what I did
(from our internal docs):

Some of the steps need to be done as root so we will need to create a
root console.  Install the needed packages for building
apt-get -t lenny-backports install devscripts build-essential
Edit /etc/apt/sources.list by adding a Lenny Backports source repository
such as the following:
deb-src http://www.backports.org/debian/ lenny-backports main contrib
non-free
Make apt aware of the repository:
apt-get update
Other steps MUST not be done by root so we need another user console to
do the following steps.
We next need to download the source and rebuild it
mkdir /data/Tech/download/gnucash
cd /data/Tech/download/gnucash
apt-get -t lenny-backports source gnucash gnucash-common
We need to install dependencies and this must be done as root so return
to the root console and do:
cd /data/Tech/download/gnucash
apt-get -t lenny-backports build-dep gnucash gnucash-common
Return to the user console
cd gnucash-2.2.6
debuild -us -uc
cd ..
The two .deb files should be in this directory and can be installed
where needed

I then installed them with dpkg -i. It clearly stated it was replacing
gnucash and gnucash common:

jasiii:/data/download/gnucash# ls
gnucash-2.2.6                gnucash_2.2.6-2_amd64.changes
gnucash_2.2.6-2.diff.gz  gnucash_2.2.6.orig.tar.gz
gnucash_2.2.6-2_amd64.build  gnucash_2.2.6-2_amd64.deb
gnucash_2.2.6-2.dsc      gnucash-common_2.2.6-2_all.deb
jasiii:/data/download/gnucash# dpkg -i *.deb
(Reading database ... 191519 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace gnucash 2.2.6-2 (using
gnucash_2.2.6-2_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gnucash ...
Preparing to replace gnucash-common 2.2.6-2 (using
gnucash-common_2.2.6-2_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gnucash-common ...
Setting up gnucash-common (2.2.6-2) ...

What have I done wrong? Thanks - John