Re: aptitude lists linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 under Obsolete and Locally Created Packages?

Stephen Powell wrote:
Sam wrote:
Maybe I don't understand how aptitude works for this case. From
everything I can see, if I remove the kernel that aptitude lists as
obsolete, I won't have any kernel at all.

First of all, you replied to me personally instead of to the list.
I'm putting this back on the list where it belongs.

If you have already done the upgrade, you should have two kernel
image packages installed: linux-image-2.6.32-3-<arch> and
linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-<arch>.  If you wish to purge the old
kernel, shutdown and reboot first.  This will cause the new kernel
to be booted.  Then you can purge the old one.  aptitude will
not let you purge or remove a running kernel.

Oh, rats. I was in a rush to post and forgot the way the list works. I wish that all the lists to which I subscribed behaved the same. Thanks for helping me out. I made several replies the same way, darnitall.

I know about rebooting and purging. I've done it lots before. It's not working that way in this case. Honestly. There's just no evidence that I can find that there's more than one kernel to select from. In fact, there's not even any evidence at all that there was any kernel upgrade on the three machines that had the initial OS installation done with the trunk kernel install option. On the other system, I can see that a new linux-image package was installed. But there's only one choice of kernels at boot time. And any attempt on any of these systems to remove the "obsolete" kernel results in the warning that the only kernel is being removed.