Re: Linux should not be booting

Carlos E. Davila wrote:
[...] but this evidently does not overwrite the boot sector, does grub-install do this?

Yes.

> I have yet to run grub-install. Of course, this
would not explain why my system still boots after deleting the vmlinuz files.

Did you evaluate our little theories? I imagine your first partition is your /boot (the second beeing your volume group, right?). If the filesystem on this first partition disappeared from your fstab for some reason, it could explain everything.

# mount /dev/disk/by-id/$DISK-part1 /mnt
# tree /mnt

The files in my /boot/ directory (before I deleted them...actually moved them to my home directory for safe keeping) were:

default  device.map  menu.lst  menu.lst~  menu.lst_backup

That would be /boot/grub.

Should the grub image files be here as well?

Yep.

Anyway, I see you have lilo installed in your boot sector, were you chainloading or is it recent?

-thib