Re: Linux should not be booting

Carlos Davila wrote:
Yet linux still boots. I am using Lenny and grub. Where is the kernel
actually stored then?

Ha.

What I can think of:
* You were using block-lists to reference the second stage file of grub1 from the first stage in the boot sector, and you didn't store filesystem drivers (stage1_5 files) in /boot/grub. I don't even know if that's possible, but if it's smart enough, it may then have referenced the kernel and initrd files with block-lists too. This way, assuming you didn't wiped the volume, the files are still there, just unlinked. (That's a very long shot.) * If grub is really smart, it may store block-lists automatically as a fallback for this very case when the filesystem won't provide the file (I'm not sure I'd really want it to do that if it does). * You messed up at some point by failing to mount the /boot filesystem, assuming it's on a separate volume. An upgrade may have repopulated the /boot directory on the main filesystem (mounted on /). Now you have two copies of the directory, depending on if you re-updated grub stage1 to load the second stage on the separate filesystem or not, you may have deleted the unused copy of the files. (Still, quite a long shot.)

-thib