Re: Re: Linux should not be booting

Thanks to all who have responded. I think the problem may be related to an issue I had with grub in January (see ddd4daee1001091255n7cfa4037l1663b317fdf09def@mail.gmail.com <http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/01/msg00696.html>). Running "apt-get install grub", created the /boot/grub/ directory and the menu.lst file, (it may have overwritten /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc, as well) but this evidently does not overwrite the boot sector, does grub-install do this? I have yet to run grub-install. Of course, this would not explain why my system still boots after deleting the vmlinuz files.

The files in my /boot/ directory (before I deleted them...actually moved them to my home directory for safe keeping) were:

default  device.map  menu.lst  menu.lst~  menu.lst_backup

Should the grub image files be here as well? I have also tried pointing grub to directories where I know the kernel images are and I get an "Error 15".

cd