Re: /boot partition changes when it should not

Clive McBarton wrote:
Very interesting point. Indeed running fsck when the shutdown was clean
seems pointless.

Agreed, I don't think there's anything else to it.

And clearly whoever started fsck had no idea that it would take longer
and longer as drives got newer.

We should probably note the substantial improvements allowed by the extents in this regard - but yep, that's still a long process.

Back on; I digged a thread[1] from the grub development list archive which is a subset of this one.

Considering the OP there seemed happy to discover that the source of his problem was unrelated, I assume he solved it completely. Since I wasn't able to reproduce it either (see the post on the other branch), the problem might be more specific to your particular setup. I can't think of anything right now; a quick overview of your init scripts might help, I don't know.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2008-03/msg00091.html

-thib