Re: How to know if DVI connection is digital or analogue?

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 22:06:09 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> I'd say he's facing a very strange and uncommon situation. I've never
>> seen that before, as I told you. And from the other user's comments I
>> think neither they have.
>
> The thing is, I wonder just how uncommon it is! Would thinks of these
> things? It would not surprise me to learn that 90% of Windows DVI
> connections are analogue and the user does not know.

Some steps to prevent that situation require the user:

1/ Buy a dual DVI-D card (no VGA output, no chance to mess)
2/ Use a DVD-D to DVD-D cable (no VGA pins, no chance either)

That should be "bulletproof" to ensure a digital link :-)

Anyway, the question still remains. How can we test -here in Debian- if
we are getting a digital or analog signal, regardless the source and/or
the cable being used?

>> Remember Occam's razor statement: "the simplest solution is usually the
>> correct one".
>>

> If this were a mission critical situation, I would agree.

Small things can grow without warning. We must care any of them. Entropy
is out there...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón